1.1 Background of the Study
and technological changes are processes that have accelerated teaching.
The past fifteen years have created a new global economy “powered by
technology, fuelled by information and driven by knowledge”. The
Emergence of this new global economy has serious implications for the
nature and purpose of educational institutions. As the half life of
information continuous to shrinks and access to information continues to
grow exponentially. School cannot remain more vociferous mission of a
prescribed set of information.
Information and Communication
Technology ICT’ which includes radio, television, computers and the
internet has been found as potentially powerful. Communication
technology is the tool use to harvest the information properly for
effectives in any Area of life.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
A lot of
stakeholders in the educational sector has expressed sincere feelings
about the decline of the value of education, the decay in the training
of manpower, laxity in the teaching and learning and lack of educational
materials in the ministry of education.
1. Some schools are lacking in the implementation of the ICT in teaching and learning.
2. Some school due to lack of fund they can not purchased ICT equipments for teaching and learning.
3. Some teachers are not well trained to use ICT in carrying out their duty is the class.
Because of the lack of quality, teachers adulterate the student thereby
creating barrier in learning and development of the student. This is
the right of researcher to study school in Enugu North with the aim of
finding out whether they heave implemented the use of ICT and record the
success but if not know the cause of it.
1.3 Significant of the Study
This study is very
essential to use extent that it helps to identify the impact of
information and communication technology on the teaching and leaving of
English language. The researchers expected that if the suggested and
personal opinion proposed in this research work are implemented
effectively and diligently, the poor image of information and
communication technology on the teaching and learning of English
language will be restored and the objective of the introduction of
information and communication technology will be achieved.
research work will be of benefit to the following group of people,
Government, parents, society, school’s and students of English language.
1.4 Purpose of the Study
The main purpose of the
study is to find out the obstacles teachers face in usning ICT and
whether it has any positive impact in teaching and learning of English
language specifically, there study aims at finding out the following.
1) To what extent are the obstacles teachers face in using ICT.
2) To what extent have the society and government recognize the significant of ICT in teaching and learning.
3) To what extent does ICT have any positive impact in teaching and learning.
4) To what extent are the problems associated with the use and implementation of ICT in research.
1.5 Research Question
As a result of the clear
statement of the purpose of the research, the following vital research
questions are raised to help guide the study,
1) What are the obstacles teachers face in using ICT?
2) To what extent have the society and government recognize the significant of ICT in teaching and learning?
3) Does ICT have any positive impacts in teaching and learning?
4) What are the problems associated with the use and implementation of ICT in research?
1.6 Limitation of the Study
There are many school owned by government and by individual in Enugu state and throughout Nigeria.
Because of time and the meague resources of the research, the work is limited to only schools in Enugu North.
1.7 Definition of Terms
LAN: - Local Area Network
WAN: - Wide Area Network
ICT- Information and Communication Technology
Globalization: refers to the individual revolution of a Nation that is powered by information and technology.
Physical Media: This refers to printed information on a material that you can handle.
IRI- Instruction Radio Initiative
CAL- Computer Assisted Instruction
Pedagogy:- refers to the traditional Act of teaching and learning is the school.
The refers to the use of information technology to teach a group of
people with the instructor being not present.
i. ICT has positive impact to teaching and learning of English in secondary school
ii. There are no obstacles facing the ICT in school
1.9 Scope of the Study
The scope of this study is cover all the
secondary school in Enugu North Urban. It tries to delimit the study,
that is to point out the extent or how far the study will go.