Motivation on bank employee was established by the organisation
(bank) with the aim to reset the healthy course of reconstruction
growth and development of the organisation (bank) this research is set
to understand how height level of employee engagement incentive to
reward good work which happen to be a tried and also a test way of
boosting staff moral.
But from banks perspective a banker, job in addition to growth
the economy, there by motivation is necessary on bank employee for
The effect of motivation incentive on bank employee was
established by the banking institution with an aim to reset the Nigeria
banking industry on a healthy course of reconstruction growth and
It however, known that by 1982 the banking industry had not in
the development and growth tracked, the industry (banking industry) had
fallen drastically from its peak, due to lack of capacity to embank on
such bold policy which goes beyond executive certain cosmetics aspect
of the problems, and motivation on the employee will bring about
setting the problem and make banking business to be effective and
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Every organisation whether profit oriented or not establish its
purpose goals and objectives which transpires into mission statement.
These of course are only accomplished by the efficient and effective management of its human material and financial sources.
However, the most dynamic and complex to manage is its human
resources (people) due to essential difference individual behaviour and
attitude as expressed in the work environment.
Work environment behaviour difference between and with individuals
are produced by physical difference, mental capabilities,
life-experience, culture, perception of a situation, age, sex, level of
education, skills exposure, traits, abilities, energy level, family
responsibilities, present standard of living, other available income,
financial status years with employee, years on job, working experience
and lastly level of job in organisational hierarchy among others.
On law about human behaviour that we can be certain about is that
all people are different, it is on knowledge of these behavioural
difference in the work place (environment) that this research intended
to delve the influences that stimulates behaviours towards high
performance for productivity in achieving organisational goals termed
Motivation is a general concept appreciated by many successful
organizations and implemented for the overall benefit of the
The Nigeria banking industry is not an exception. The industry
has undergone remarkable changes over the years, in terms of the number
of institutions, ownership, structure, capitalisation, as well as
depth and breath of operations. These changes have been influenced
largely by challenges posed by deregulation of the financial sector
globalisation of operations, technological innovations and adoption of
supervisory and prudential requirements that conform to international
As at January 2006 there were only 25 banks remaining from 89
deposit money banks operating in the country, due to consolidation.
It becomes imperative, that if banks must continue to service and
be in operation, it must bruce-up to the imminent challenges of the
industry and remain competitive in the market place. This can be
achieved through the motivation of employees to higher performance and
This research examines the effect of motivation incentive on bank
employee with special focus on United Bank for African Plc (UBA).
- OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
This research was propelling by the need to improve performance
and increase employee’s productivity in the work environment therefore
the objectives of this study includes among others the following:
- To identify the degree or importance of employees in the achievement of organisational objectives.
- To identify the factors responsible for the higher performance by employees in the past.
- To identify the element responsible for employee present low performance.
- To understand and appreciate the need of employees as individuals and as a group.
- To identify the role of managers and their influence on bank employees.
- To improve employees performance and increase their productivity through motivation.
- To improve the overall results of organisation in terms of performance.
- SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
Considering the largeness of bank’s in the Nigerian banking
industry, the research study is limited to united bank for Africa plc
with reference to their branch in Kaduna along Yakubu Gowon way which
shall cover the Nigerian Economic and the period is within 2007-2010.
1.4 DEFINITION OF TERMS
A number of terms or major concepts are defined here as they are
apply to the study for proper understanding of this work. This
BANKING INDUSTRY: - A collection of banks usually in the same
category charged with the responsibility of carrying out financial
- BANK EMPLOYEE: - A person who works for a bank in return of salary.
- ENVIRONMENT: - It describes the conditions, circumstance etc effecting employees in the work place.
- PRODUCTIVITY: - All of the things that causes or influence motivation in an employees.
- MANAGER: - People who combine business resources in an efficient manner which maximises output.
- OBJECTIVES: - These are the drivers which determine the nature
of input. The series of activities to achieve outputs and the
realization of organizational goals.
- PERFORMANCE :- It refers to the degree, of success, or failure of an activity of operation
- PRODUCTIVITY: - this refers to efficiency measured by
comparing the result attainted with the time and or the resources used
to achieve the result.